If you love chicken wings and watch this chicken-wing-interview show on Youtube called HotOnes, you might have seen this episode featuring Maangchi for cooking chicken wings with the host Sean Evans. Maangchi is a well-known YouTuber for cooking authentic Korean food, her channel has over 2.9 million subscribers and her famous Crunchy Korean Fried Chicken (Dakgangjeong: 닭강정) recipe video has had over 9.2 million views. Her recipe has been our all-time favourite. Every time when we make those crunchy chicken wings, we love to add some personal twists to it. Therefore, based on her recipe, here is our way of making super crunchy Asian style fried chicken wings, and it is gluten-free, egg-free and dairy-free!
- 3½ pounds chicken wings (about 1.6 kg), washed and drained
Seasoning for the chicken:
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
The mix of cornstarch and paprika
- 2/3 cup potato starch or cornstarch
- 1/4 cup paprika (adjust depending on personal taste)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 to 4 large dried red chilli peppers, seeded, cut crosswise into ⅓ inch pieces (optional)
- ¼ cup soy sauce (can be substituted with gluten-free soy sauce)
- 1/3 cup rice syrup or corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard (optional)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of mirin (optional)
- Grapeseed oil (or vegetable oil, peanut oil)
- sesame seeds
- fried peanuts
Highlighted the ingredients that are different from Maangchi’s original recipe
- Mix chicken with seasonings: salt, black pepper, minced garlic and minced ginger
- Coat the chicken with the mix of cornstarch and (sweet or spicy) paprika
- Fry in hot oil for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Shake off, let sit, then fry for another 12 to 15 minutes.
- Coat in seasoning sauce.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds and the peanut over top and serve immediately.
The full video by Maangchi:
Hope you guys enjoy the wings and don’t forget to like the post or leave a comment if you want to or have already tried the recipe!